Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cold Medicine Cassie

I don't take medicine often- partly because I just don't like the idea of it, and partly because medicine affects me in a weird way.  Most prescription meds (for pain, nausea, or vertigo) as well as all cold meds, tend to make me pretty loopy and I completely lose my filter.  I compare it to what most people are like after a few drinks.  My friends and I call it "Cold Medicine Cassie".  
This week, I have quite the summer cold, and I've been treating it with lots of water, hot tea, and some cold meds.  And for your entertainment, I thought I would share some of the random things I've said and done over the past couple days.  


Monday at work: a coworker commented that I was quieter than normal.  I promptly said "you're welcome, I'm on cold meds."
Monday afternoon: after nearly falling asleep at my desk, I walked across campus for some Starbucks.  On the way back, I nearly walked into the wrong building.  Luckily, I brought a friend with me, and she was able to steer me the right way.
Later the same afternoon: While texting my sister, I stopped to tell her to thank auto correct- b/c without it I couldn't type or text.  I stand by this- my texts would have been a mess!
Monday leaving work: I said goodbye to a friend, who wished me a safe ride home.  I assured her I would be fine b/c I would be using my GPS.
Tuesday at work, I had a meeting with my manager.  When he told me that we were going to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone,"  I replied with "We're killing birds?  I usually do that with my car."  
Tuesday at Walmart: after grabbing a few things (and forgetting only one), I went to put my groceries in my car.  I knew the side of the lot I parked on, and that I had a great spot, but I couldn't find my van.  I reached for my keys, so I could hit the "lock" and make my van beep so that I could locate it easier.  That is when I realized that I didn't have my van- I had driven my husband's truck.  After another minute, I located his truck but couldn't get the cart through the cars to get to it. So I pushed my cart into the cart return, grabbed my bags, and pretended that was exactly what I meant to do the whole time.


Luckily, I'm aware of the effect of cold meds, so I do my best to be quiet, avoid any responsible decisions, and warn friends and family that I am under the influence.  I also take the minimum dosage in an effort to minimize the effects.  This week has been pretty tame compared to past times I've been on cold meds.  However, if you cross my path in the next few days and I look a little lost or confused, I probably am.  Just point me in the right direction and enjoy a good laugh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment