Sunday, June 1, 2014

Kid Cuisine

I mentioned in my last post how much I cherish sleep.  I love to sleep.  I sleep in on Saturday and Sunday mornings as my children rot their brains with video games (B) and cartoons (G).  If I want to sleep really late, I stock the snack cabinet with a bag or two of powdered Donettes. 

There were no Donettes last weekend.  G woke me up with, "Hey, Mama, how do I make my own Peanut Butter Jelly sammich again?"  Note: he doesn't.  The kid is four.  No way am I ready for the biohazard that would be my kitchen if he was allowed access to the sticky of both peanut butter and jelly.  Also, G with a knife?  Yeah, that wakes me up right away. 

This weekend, I screamed for Big Brother to make it.  My bedroom is adjacent to the kitchen so I could hear the conversations between the two. 

G: Not too much peanut butter.  It's too hard to chew if you use too much peanut butter.  B!  I said not too much peanut butter!  B!

B: All right!  I know how to make a sandwich, G.  Just let me do it. 

After rustling, crinkling and clinking, B must have passed the sandwich to Little. 

G: Hey!  Where's the jelly?

B: I didn't know you wanted jelly!  You didn't say!

Me (roaring from the comfort of my bed): I asked you to make him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!  Of course he wanted jelly!

G:  I'm not eating this.  I need jelly.

B: Well, I can't put the jelly on now.  If I take the top off, it'll break!  Just eat it. 

After a bit of debate, B made G a second sandwich.  When Josh stumbled out of bed a few minutes later, he saw Little with a sandwich in each hand and no plate.  He let loose on that for a minute, then got the kid settled in front of the tv with his breakfast sammiches on a proper plate. 

Ten minutes later, G snuck in my room to whisper, "Hey guess what?  I think I like the one without the jelly better."

That, my friends, is why it took me twelve hours to get ten hours of sleep this past Friday night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment